KHC Community Health Forum
Improving Health through Literacy
The Kentuckiana Health Collaborative (KHC) and Health Literacy of Kentucky (HLK) have joined forces to bring attention to the growing demands of being an informed healthcare consumer. An estimated 90 million Americans have problems understanding basic healthcare information. Many of these people struggle to maintain their health, because prescriptions are taken inconsistently, follow up appointments are missed, routine screenings are forgotten, and discharge instructions are ignored or misunderstood. As the healthcare industry moves toward a more consumer-based healthcare system, patients are expected to take a more proactive role in all health decisions. They need to understand prescription medications and dosing, discharge instructions, consent forms, test results, graphs, how to use computers, and the list goes on. Join us for a discussion on how we can improve health literacy and ultimately improve health.
- DATE: December 5, 2017
- LOCATION: Anthem BCBS, 13550 Triton Park Blvd., Louisville, KY 40223
- TIME: 7:30-10:00 a.m
- EXPECTED ATTENDANCE: 100
- TARGET AUDIENCE: All Healthcare Stakeholders including providers, plans, employers, labor unions, government, non-profits, pharmaceuticals, and anyone interested in healthcare
Speakers and Panelists
Health Literacy: A Path to Improve the Health Care Experience
Joseph R. Betancourt, MD, MPH, Director, The Disparities Solutions Center; Senior Scientist, Mongan Institute for Health Policy Center; Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School; Director of Multicultural Education, Massachusetts General Hospital
Dr. Betancourt will explain how an organization focusing on health literacy can improve the health care consumer experience. He will share practical approaches to simplify communications and reduce complexity. Dr. Betancourt will share specific examples of health literacy best practices.
Health Literacy Kentucky (HLK) Panel Discussion
Health Literacy Kentucky is a statewide coalition working for a healthier commonwealth through improved health literacy. HLK will facilitate a panel of local statewide experts to discuss health literacy as it relates to benefits, policy, decision-making, and local topics.
- Moderator: Kim Parson, Strategic Consultant for Healthcare Services, Humana
- Panelist: Emily Beauregard, MPH, Executive Director, Kentucky Voices for Health
- Panelist: Jean Edward, PhD, RN, Assistant Professor, Center for Health Services Research, University of Kentucky
- Panelist: Gilbert C. Liu, MD, MS, Medical Director, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, Dept. for Medicaid Services